In my last post I detailed the upcycling of my new/old desk chair. I loved the fabric and when I decided to make up Butterick 6089. I had picked view B and figured it would be a great work dress. I had picked my fabric and decided on a basic black cotton sateen.
In the cutting out process I realised that my basic black would be too boring for my liking I rummaged through my small pieces pile and came up with this.
I had just enough to cut out the front panels in the bright cotton sateen.
The process of putting it together was pretty straight forward. I decided against lining the dress, mostly cause the process of lining was mildly terrifying. I ended up making some facings. I have a habit of using contrasting fabric where you can’t see it so I decided some black and white polka dot fabric would be perfect.
I had to make some alterations to the patterns to fit me. I had to put some extra bust darts in, shorten the waist (I’m high waisted) and bring the shoulders up so they sat right.
It didn’t take long to put together and paired with black stockings and a black jacket makes a great addition to my working wardrobe.