My older brother got married in August 2016. So I am quite a bit late with this review of my outfit.
August in Sydney is still pretty chilly, its still winter. Most of the wedding was outside and I really feel the cold so I wanted to make a jacket and dress. After some ummming and aahhing I decided on these patterns.
Vogue 8615 for the Dress and Butterick B6105 for the Jacket
I originally had a mottled red print in mind for the dress with the idea of making a plum coloured jacket to pick out the plum tones in the print. No matter how high or low I searched I couldn’t find any fabric that would be just right.
I eventually settled on a navy cotton sateen from Spotlight (it can be found here). The jacket was made from some rose gold brocade I had in my stash. I picked it up from Spotlight during a sale when you received an additional 50% off if you bought more than 3 metres. In the end it was cheap and pretty. Unfortunately, it’s not available anymore.
I lined the bodice with some lining fabric I bought off eBay.
The dress came together pretty easily. I didn’t any adjustments at all and just sewing it up. I was really happy with the results. On the night, I did find that I had trouble keeping it on my shoulders so I will definitely fix that next time but it’s not overly noticeable.
There is a sizeable amount of fabric in the skirt which is a really full circle skirt. I hemmed he skirt by hand and finished it with bias binding.
The jacket wasn’t as easy as the dress to put together. The fabric freys a lot. I lined the jacket in a satin fabric which was pretty slippery.
Afterwards it was pointed out that I had put the sleeves on the wrong sizes. I haven’t had time or the inclination to fix it as I would have to pull it all apart and it isn’t all that noticeable.
Fit wise I found the jacket a bit big. It’s better than being small but it just fits loosely when it shouldn’t. So word of warning size down if you are considering making your own.
The wedding was great fun and I didn’t take many photos but here’s what I have.